Sunday, April 06, 2008

Written by P W Kale Kaka (Moved from comment)

Remembering Shriram Kanitkar,as I knew him !!!!

One day in Pune in Oct’2004,Meena my wife,called me on my mobile to say that she met Mrs. Kanitkar( Saroj) and Shririam in Bal Gandharav Pune and she was bringing them home. Kanitkars were in our house and we renewed our ‘guppa’ all over after several years.The time seemed have not elapsed and we related to each other instantly.

Kanitkar’s were again Punekar’s after almost 40 years after their courtship years in Ferguson college.Roots, after all, take you to their origin.

I first met Shririam in 1971 in Mumbai where Bank Officer’s association was holding elections.Shriram got elected unopposed on the managing committee to represent Delhi & North.My first impression of him was suve,handsome,very well dressed in a light brown suit and a matching tie.It was December & he flew from Delhi all the way.When we met,he instantly related to his Pune days and wanted to know how’s theatre activity in Pune going on. ‘Ghashiram Kotwal’ was a rage at that time.His turnout and command over spoken Marathi,Hindi and English impressed everyone.We became friends from that day. A real Chitpavan in his looks,light mischievous eyes and pink brown complexion.An appearance & intelligence inherited from his parent whom I had the pleasure to meet subsequently.I believe his value system came from his father and culture,and music,theatre from mother an excellent combination indeed.

Yes,Shriram was an active, knowledgeable, theatre personality.

The organisation where we were working had made plans to grow.The expansion was being implemented & I was assigned to go to Delhi in Jan’75 by the then Charman Mr. V.M.Bhide.On our debriefing session Mr. Bhide asked me’Do you know Mr. Kanitkar from Delhi ? I said ‘yes I do.Mr. Bhide said ‘then 50 % of your problems of settling in Delhi are solved’.He knew Shriram and his abilities well. Unfortunetly subsequent gentlemen heading the Bank affairs did NOT have close rapport with executives in Delhi.

Me, a pucca Punekar(then),landed in Delhi in a wintery February ‘75 evening by Forntier mail. My Puneri estmate of Delhi( hya,thandi,thandi mhanje kiti ?) winter was shattered with same intnsity of my shiver down the spine.Next day I called on Shriram in his office in Karol Bagh.He was Manager of Karol Bag office. He was very firm & effective in his mannerisam. What impressed me most was his command over Punjabi language.I made a mental note that if I have to take roots in Delhi spken Punjabi is mandatory.

Over about next week or so Shririam helped me to settle down.Took me home and went out of the way to ensure that I was at ease in a new city.This was a cultural shock to me coming from a city which suspected anybody trying to help.’What is his motive’ they would have asked ?

By Pune standards Delhi was ‘Khoop Laamb’.I was so moved by his help that I carried the tradition of helping to anyone one coming to Delhi from other states for the first time.

P.W.Kale

No comments: